Followers

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rock of Ages - National Tour

I have been a musical theater junkie since I was little and my parents took me to see my very first show, Phantom of the Opera.  Even though I was only in elementary school at that time, it really fascinated me and to this day I have spent more time and money on theater than concerts.  Not that I don't enjoy an occasional concert every now and then, but there is something that the actors do on that stage when they reach you with both their talent and their emotions.

Rock of Ages was a show that David wanted to see since it came out.  We didn't end of seeing it during our last trip to New York, so I wanted to make sure he had a chance to see it while they were on tour.  They made it down our way and we drove down to the Pantages to see what it was all about.  Not the best idea as it turns out.

If you're there to listen to some good rock and roll music, then the performance was fairly decent.  They highlighted one of their star performers who happened to be a previous American Idol contestant.  The costumes were very appropriate and themed to that time and the sets were pretty decent.  Unfortunately that is where my praise ends.

Talk about trying to force a square peg in a round hole.  Wait a minute... that doesn't sound right.  ;)  Let's just say they took a bunch of rock songs from the 70s and 80s and tried to force a storyline around them.  It was very cheesy too, but not in the funny way... more of the I want to slap my hand on my forehead kind of cheese.  The acting (when they weren't singing) was awful.

So if you're trying to pick a show to see, don't pick this one.  Even if you can get the tickets at a discount, it's not really worth it and you'll walk out missing the few hours of your life that you'll never get back.  If you're craving some of that good rock music, you're better off listening to your music device of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment